Sunday, April 24, 2011

Beautiful Things
(photos and videos)

I need a new word other than 'beautiful'. But 'lovely', 'divine', 'pretty', and all the other words aren't nearly as great as this simple word, one of our first few adjectives. I feel like it's the umbrella term for all these, well, lovely things.

Elegant, classy, soft, endearing, light, calm, raw, gentle, celestial, loose things are beautiful to me. Wise, understanding people are beautiful. Meaning is beautiful. Feelings are beautiful.

Words like 'splendid', 'astounding', 'brilliant', 'outstanding' are not beautiful. Beautiful things aren't shining stars. They don't catch your eye but they attract you. The beauty doesn't work from the surface, it seeps through from beneath, (I'd like to imagine: beneath a steady stream).

Sometimes they're almost barely there, sometimes subtle. Too visible sometimes though they're just going their own way.

Oh I know. Beautiful things/people don't shout "I'M BEAUTIFUL". They just are.

-

There are a billion things more beautiful than the ones I've found but these are what I call 'beautiful' for today :

(now that I've sort of established my meaning of the word I don't feel so frustrated for using it all over again. I can't use any other word that means something else. There are synonyms, similar words but each word has its own meaning, I think.)


My favourite photo of all time, since I was 16, I think.

It looks a little too controlled for such degree of liking, now that I look at this again... I think. But I haven't found anything like this yet, so.. light.. and.. celestial? I feel like I don't even have to justify why I like it even till now. I would watch a video of her in this dress, a strong fan beneath her feet, same lighting, for hours. Yes, hours.


Fragile subject, strong lighting, soft bright colours.


looks like a film still from a japanese movie. How very calming.
And such a beautiful lady. She looks like she understands the world.
(now don't ask me how I came to that, it just feels this way)


Contrasts are amazing! I actually think they're close to the most wonderful thing on earth, like figures illuminated by the moonlight, dancing flames in the dark, studded diamond stars in the night sky.


Her expression so full of vengeance yet she looks so vulnerable.

(These are all taken by Zhang Jingna)

-


(I'll try not to post this up again)

I always feel like their hearts are only connected by a fine thread. It feels raw. A moment after tension. Not passion but fragility, fear of losing each others' physical presence, not knowing what they're exactly holding onto.

She's grabbing onto that hand holding her close, unsure if she should push it away, but she doesn't in the end for she's too tired to question or be insecure (words and secrets are not always true).

Falling into someone's embrace from weakness and fear is so easy at such moments.

-



Michael Jackson - Childhood
(this is a really wonderful song)

Before you judge me, try hard to love me,
Look within your heart then ask,

Have you seen my Childhood?




Ryan Woodrow - Thought of you
(Song: The world spins madly on by the weepies)

A friend posted this on facebook. Art, dance, music all in a simple animation. It is too beautiful for words and I shall end this post with this. Graceful, elegant.

(someone used my favourite picture as part of his/her video under 'suggested videos'!) Which makes it more certain that the animation belongs here.

No comments: